We know that preparing yourself to go abroad is not easy. That is why we prepared this special FAQs to help you better understand everything you need to know about studying English and working in Ireland. Please, let us know whether this has been useful for you. Any other queries, click here.

Before your Exchange

Why study abroad?

To study abroad is a dream pursued by many young people and more recently by people of all ages. The decision to study abroad must be made alone. Ask yourself what motivation you have to pursue this dream. Although your motivations are personal and it is totally up to you to make up your mind about it, studies have proven that people who have studied abroad have improved not only their language skills but also increased their confidence, self-esteem and capacity to solve problems and deal with pressure. To learn more about this, have a look at this study:  https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/benefits

Why Study in Ireland?

Ireland has increasingly becoming popular among students from all over the globe as its immigration laws are considered flexible and open to non-European students. Students can come for short or long-term studies, In the latter case it’s possible to work whilst studying in the country. It is a fair easy process to apply for the visa, as it happens after the student’s arrival in the country. Apart from the motives above, Ireland is a beautiful and very historic country, offering several types of cultural activities and the opportunity to get to know people from everywhere. It goes without saying that Ireland is very well located and offers the chepeast flights to other countries in Europe.

Where to Study English in Ireland?

There are many cities in Ireland which offer both opportunities to learn English and  to work. The favourites are Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick (I would include only cities where we are: Dublin and Limerick. Maybe you can change the context and tell that we are in two important cities in Ireland and talk a litle bit about both of them. At NED Training Centre, you can choose between Dublin and Limerick. Learn more: https://ned.ie/

What is a Non-European Citizen?

A non-EU national is an individual who originates from countries that are not part of the EU agreement. EU nationals have the freedom to move to another EU country to work without a work permit The only exceptions to this are people coming from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, as their citizens can work in the EU on the same footing as EU nationals, since they belong to the European Economic Area. To check the exact rights regarding  your home country, access: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=470&langId=en

Can I work and study in Ireland as a NON-European Citizen?

Yes. This is part of what makes Ireland such an attractive destination for your study abroad programme. By enrolling  on a long-term course, you are allowed to work 20 hours a week during regular times and 40 hours during the Summer and Christmas holidays.

Stamp 2 visa holders are permitted to work full time in accordance with employment law provisions during the months of June, July, August and September and from 15th December to 15th January inclusive. At all other times they will be limited to working 20 hours per week.

Learn more: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20-%20Students

Can I work after study in Ireland?

If you do not have double nationality, which means if you do not have a European passport, you can just work whilst studying in Ireland. However, upon completion of a High Education Level (Graduate, Post graduate, Masters or PhD), you might avail of a 1 to 2 year work permit.

Can I study for free in Ireland?

No. If you don`t possess a European passport or were granted a scholarship from an Irish institution, you will have to pay the full fee for any course you take and prove you have enough money to remain in the country.

What should I study in Ireland?

You can study whatever course you are interested in as long as you got accepted by an Irish Institution. Note that to be able to work part time in Ireland, you will have to be enrolled in a full time course. These include: English Language, Higher National Diploma, Master’s degree and PhD. We reccomend you start off your studies with an English language Course, preferably at NED Training Centre, as we are committed to offer you the best support,  so that you will increase your chances of being accepted by an higher level course later on.

What is the minimum age to do an exchange?

At NED Training Centre we are happy to welcome students who are 18 years old or older. If you are under 18 years old, we can accept you only for a short-term course, from 1 to 12 weeks duration. Short stay ‘C’ visas for children aged under 18 must show if the child is travelling alone (unaccompanied) or with an adult (accompanied). If the child is accompanied, the person(s) named on the child’s visa must be with them for the entire journey. If not, the child will not be allowed to travel. To learn: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/visa-short-stay-children

What is a Stamp 2?

It is permission to study in Ireland. Stamp 2 indicates permission to study a full time course on the official Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP) for a specified period, subject to conditions. According to Irish regulation, the student needs to be enrolled on one of the following courses: English Language, Higher National Diploma, Degree (undergraduate), Master’s degree (postgraduate), PhD. To learn more: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/registration-stamps#stamp2

Do I have to apply for a visa to study in Ireland?

It will depend on the length you intend to study in Ireland and also the country you come from. To check if your country’s citizens requires a visa to enter Ireland, click on this link: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/check-irish-visa

Generally, to study in Ireland for less than 3 months, you will not have to apply for a visa. However, if you intend to work while studying in Ireland, you will need to apply for a visa, once you arrive in the country. This rule applies only to Non-European citizens.

Do I have to book my English course before my trip starts?

Yes, you do. Note that the school letter stating that you are enrolled in an English course is one of the most important documents you should present when crossing the border into Ireland. This requirement applies for both short and long-term courses. Showing that you are entering the country for educational reasons will be fundamental to your success.

Which documents should I present at the airport at the Irish border control?

When arriving in Ireland you will have to present your passport (valid for at least 6 months and/or the period you intend to remain in the country, which means that if you booked a course of 8 months, your passport needs to be valid for the next 8 months), the school letter, the accommodation letter, proof of funds (card statment or cash), and the printed return flight tickets.

What is the English level required to study abroad?

If you are coming to learn English, we do not require any knowledge of the language, as we offer English courses starting from the most elementary level. However, if you intend to study Higher Level Courses, you will be required to prove a higher possibly even advanced level of English.

How long in advance should I book my course?

It depends completely on you. You might need more time to save enough money to come to Ireland. However, if you have already made up your mind and decide to come immediately, we will do our best to guarantee you a place at our school. Furthermore, we recommend you book your course one month in advance to guarantee a place, better flight promotions and etc. Once you booked and have fully paid your fees, you will need to travel to Ireland within the next year. If this period expiries, we will no longer accommodate you and you will not be entitled to receive any refund.

Can I work in Ireland while taking a short-term English Course?

No, you cannot. As highlighted the item 4. You can study in Ireland by taking a short or a long-term course. The difference is that in a short-term course you don’t get permission to work. However, you can dive into the Irish culture while living in the country. This option is recommended to those who do not have much time to travel abroad and are willing to use their work holidays to travel and study

What type of courses enable me to work in Ireland?

In order to get a Stamp 2, you need to be enrolled on a long-term course with a minimum length of 8 months (work and study program 6-month English Course + 2-month holiday).

How many hours can I work in Ireland?

Once enrolled in a full time English Course, you are allowed to work in Ireland for 20 hours a week in regular months and up to 40 hours during the months of summer and Christmas holiday Stamp 2 visa holders are permitted to work full time in accordance with employment law provisions during the months of June, July, August and September and from 15th December to 15th January inclusive. At all other times they will be limited to working 20 hours per week.

Do I need Health Insurance?

Yes. If you are a Non-European citizen, you will be required to have private Medical Insurance. With this, you will be safeguarded in case of medical emergencies while living abroad. Insurance is mandatory for long-term programmes.  When booking your course with NED Training Centre, your Health Insurance will be included in the package, so you will not have to worry about it.

Which is the best time of the year to travel?

The best time is the one that fits your own necessities. It will depend on each student’s lifestyle. However, we recommend the summer time for several reasons: some students are heading back home, which makes it the best time for finding accommodation; jobs and making new friends as a new bunch of people are coming in. For those students who prefer Winter it would be better to arrive in the months between October to April, for those who prefer hot weather they can come from April to September. If they like partying they can come for Saint Patricks in March or Halloween in October. In overall, it will depend on your taste and aims.

Does NED Training Centre sell flight tickets?

No. We offer support to help you find the best options and prices. As a student, you also can avail of student fees and conditions. However, it is the full responsibility of students to book their flight tickets. However, we might have a partnership with some travel companies, so you must ask to your agent.

Do I have to buy a return flight ticket?

Yes. It is a legal requirement to present the return flight ticket when arriving at Irish border control. Not having the return flight can result in deportation.

Do I have to get special vaccines before my trip?

No. There is no legal requirement. However, accordingly to the CDC (Centres for Disease Control and Prevention), all travellers should make sure they are up-to-date on routine vaccines before any trip. The recommend vaccine to have before your trip is Hepatitis A. To learn more: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/ireland

How much money should I bring to Ireland?

It is recommended to bring from 500 to 800 euros per month. However, if you are enrolled in a long-term course, 3,000 euros is the minimum amount to prove sufficient funds to remain in the country for 6 months. We also recommend students bring extra money, around 4,000 euros.

How do I make an appointment at Irish Immigration?

After your arrival in Ireland, your first concern will be to apply for your long-stay visa. You will collect all the necessary documents at our school, these are: School letter, Health insurance certificate, plus your Financial Proof Statement. When you have all the documents you are ready to head off to the Immigration office. Note that you can book an appointment online to get your visa even before your flight to Ireland, as long as you are coming very soon. To book an appointment, access this link: https://burghquayregistrationoffice.inis.gov.ie/Website/AMSREG/AMSRegWeb.nsf/AppSelect?OpenForm

How can I prove I have sufficient funds to support myself during my stay?

You can prove you have enough funds by presenting one of the options below:

  1. A current bank statement showing sufficient funds (it can be an account in your home nation), not less than one month old, together with a past statement and a debit card. The account and card must be in the student’s name (as it appears in their passport).
  2. Documentary evidence that money is held in trust for a student by a financial service body regulated in Ireland by the Central Bank of Ireland.
  3. A prepaid credit-card, with verification of the amount on the card. (The student’s name must be embossed on the card).
  4. A statement in respect of an Irish bank account, showing sufficient funds.


To learn more: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Student%20Finances.pdf/Files/Student%20Finances.pdf

What is an IRP or GNIB card?

Irish Residence Permit (IRP) is a registration certificate that proofs you are allowed to remain and work in Ireland during your stay. An IRP costs €300 per person each time you apply for a student visa in the country. You can remain in Ireland for up to 2 years as an English Student. This means that every time you renew your course, you will have to pay the fee of €300 for a new IRP card. GNIB is what the IRP card used to be called. Take note that this card is very important because, although it does not serve as an official identification method, it is necessary for immigration purposes every time you leave or enter the country, so we recommend that you keep it in your residence and do not carry it on the street.

How do I pay for my IRP card?

Pay by credit card or debit card at Burgh Quay registration office and select offices around the country. To pay using credit card or debit card, bring your card with you and use as normal.

About our School

Which English Courses does NED Training Centre offer?

We offer General English Courses for two different audiences. Short-term courses for those people willing to travel abroad only to study English and have a cultural exchange and long-term courses for those looking to work while studying English. Learn more here: https://ned.ie/dublin/general-english/

Why should I choose NED Training Centre?

We offer the best to help you make the most of your study abroad experience. At NED Training Centre, you will have all the support pre- arrival in your native language. Our school has an excellent infrastructure with 20 modern classrooms, canteen, library and student lounge. Our school is fully certified and accredited by the Irish Government. Furthermore, our approach goes beyond in class learning. We offer several free extra activities, including dance and acting. To make your life easy, we provide a student card, Student APP and we partner with tour guide companies to take our students on several trips around Ireland and abroad. To discover more, click here:

What exam preparation does NED Training Centre offer?

We prepare our students for two different types of English tests: TIE and Cambridge.  The end of course examination is mandatory for all visa-required students following GNIB rules and the fees are included in most of our packages. We recommend that you check with your agent to make sure it is also included in yours.

What is the TIE exam?

The Test of Interactive English (TIE) is an international EFL exam developed in Ireland by a group of Irish English language professionals under the aegis of the Advisory Council for English Language Schools (ACELS), a government agency which was responsible at that time for quality assurance in English language teaching. TIE can be taken by junior and adult students on either short or long courses in Ireland as well as abroad. To learn more: https://www.yesireland.ie/i-have-a-tie-exam-and-now/

What is a Cambridge Exam?

If you have achieved a higher English Level this means that now you are more than prepared to take more advanced English tests. For that, we offer our students the opportunity to test their skills by taking three different types of Cambridge exams: PET, FCE and CAE. To learn more about each one of them, click here: https://www.yesireland.ie/cambridge-exams-pet-fce-and-cae-what-are-they/

Do I have to attend 100% of the classes?

Ideally you should, nevertheless many unexpected events might happen, so you are unlikely to attend 100% of the classes. The minimum attendance rate is 85%.  Because it is a legal requirement, you need to bear in mind that not keeping your attendance at 85% might lead to a refusal in case you try to renew your visa at the Irish Immigration Office.

How do I know my English Level?

Once you book your course, you will receive a link to your placement test by email, in which you will be assessed on your grammar, reading and writing. However, your final level and class will be defined once you step into our school.  Having arrived here, you will have an oral test with us and you will be placed in the right class and level. We also offer an induction day and walking tour to help you better understand the school rules and to get to know the city.

At what time are the classes and the school opening times?

We offer two class times, morning from 09:00 to 12:15, and afternoon from 13:00 to 16:15, from Monday to Friday. Our school is open from 09am to 5pm.

Does NED Training Centre offer any extracurricular activities?

Yes. At NED Training Centre, we believe that the learning process goes beyond in-class activities. We offer extracurricular activities every day. There are: grammar, conversation, pronunciation and CV and interview workshop classes for free. We believe our students should be motivated to progress in all aspects of the language. Furthermore, we offer other types of free workshops, such as dance, tai chi, acting, to provide an environment of multicultural interaction and entertainment.

What’s it like studying at NED Training Centre?

At NED Training Centre, we work hard on providing your students with the best possible experience. That is why our approach is to offer excellence in teaching, by hiring excellent teachers as well as offering complementary activities, weekly assessments and monthly surveys to guarantee we are delivering the best services to our students. Although at NED Training Centre, you will be pushed to do your best and achieve great results, you will have plenty of fun and can fill your free time with amusing activities to ensure an unforgettable experience.

What are the English levels at NED Training Centre?

There are 6 English Levels at NED Training Centre. They are: 1.1 Beginner, 1.2 Elementary, 2. Pre-Intermediate, 3. Intermediate, 4. Upper Intermediate, 5 Advanced. In every level, our teachers will work on improving your skills in Reading, Speaking, Writing and Listening.

Do I receive a certificate at the end of my course?

Yes. All students who succeed in completing their courses with a minimum of 85% attendance will receive a certificate stating their current language level. Students will only get a certificate after completing 6 weeks of the course at their final level (it does not apply to short-term students, as some of the course can be shorter than 6 weeks).

Is there any support in my native language?

Yes. NED Training Centre English School is fully prepared to attend to students from all over the world. We have specialised support in seven languages (English, Chinese, Malay, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Turkish). Our website is available in English, Portuguese and Spanish. Our school is committed to offer support in all stages of your course from planning in your home country to during your course and post-course; analysing your feedback on your experience to improve the quality of our services.  We have offices located in: Chile, Mexico, Uruguay, Malaysia, and Brazil. To learn more:


What services can I book with NED Training Centre?

You can book almost everything you need for your exchange experience with us, apart from the flight tickets. We offer: 25 week-English Course, temporary accommodation, airport pick-Up, enrolled learner protection, health insurance, student card, exams and certification, and all the support in your native language to avoid any miscommunication. Learn more about each of these services: https://ned.ie/dublin/services/

What kind of accommodation does the school provide?

We offer temporary accommodation. Our aim is to make you feel at home in Ireland. Your accommodation is an extremely important part of your whole experience. Our accommodation options are all located close to public transport, shopping centres, supermarkets and banks. We work with host families, hostels and student accommodation. Learn more: https://ned.ie/dublin/services/

What are NED Training Centre affiliations and partnerships?

NED Training Centre is proudly associated with great institutions to guarantee the high-quality standards our students look for. These accreditations contribute to consumer protection and make sure all our services meet the requirements demanded by law.


NED Training Centre is ILEP (Interim List of Eligible Programmes) approved. This is currently the national accreditation system in Ireland. Please find the full ILEP list here:



NED Training Centre is an authorised Centre offering Examinations Preparation Courses for University of Cambridge – ESOL Examinations. This means that while studying at NED Training Centre, you will be prepared to take the world’s most recognised range of English qualifications, enhancing your career prospects.

NED Training Centre is part of the Progressive College Network, which means that our is school is constantly being examined in relation to its quality and infrastructure. The PCN is an organization formed to meet the demand for an alternate representative body for the private college community in Ireland.


NED Training Centre is approved to offer Learner Protection Insurance. After booking your course, you will receive a certificate to confirm that you are safeguarded in case anything happens to our school.  Learn more about our accreditations at: https://ned.ie/dublin/about-us/acreditations/

What is NOT tolerated at NED Training Centre?

Racism, homophobic comments, bigotry and related issues will not be tolerated at any time. Aggression towards fellow students or staff members is strictly forbidden; any student who behaves in an aggressive manner will be asked to leave class and may face suspension or expulsion.

Can I be expelled from NED Training Centre?

Yes. If a student is unable to complete his/her course with 85% attendance, NED Training Centre retains the right to expel the student without issuing four warnings. Attendance is a requirement of a student’s visa and non-attendance will result in expulsion and may result in the loss of a student’s permission to study and work in Ireland. To learn more read our School Policy here: https://ned.ie/dublin/school-policy/

What Communication Channels is NED Training Centre on?

Website: https://ned.ie

Facebook: NED Training Centre – http://bit.ly/facebooknedtc

Instagram: @nedtrainingcentre – http://bit.ly/instagramnedtc

Twitter: @neddublin – http://bit.ly/twitternedtc

Blog: https://www.yesireland.ie/

Living in Ireland

Where to find permanent accommodation?

Because Ireland is a fairly small country, finding accommodation should not be difficult as the country is prepared to receive students from everywhere. Dublin city is divided into 24 different postal districts: the odd numbers are situated on the north side of the river Liffey, while even numbers are located on the south side. To learn more about it: https://www.yesireland.ie/where-to-live-in-dublin-all-you-need-to-know-about-dublins-districts/

How much does it cost to live in Ireland?

Ireland is one of the most important economies in Europe nowadays. This means that even though you might have to invest a little bit more money to come to study here, the money earned will be worth it more than your current currency. Don’t worry about it, because we have prepared a cost of living chart to help you be better prepared and to predict your expenses while studying and working here. Download it here: https://ned.ie/dublin/prospective-students/discover-ireland/

What documents do I need to work in Ireland?

Once you have applied and received your IRP (Irish Residence Card). to be able to work, you will need to apply for your PPS Number.  A PSS number stands for:  Personal Public Service (PPS) number. It is a unique reference number that helps you access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland. To apply for a PPS number, you need to get an appointment. Access: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

How do I register a Job with the authorities?

After getting your first job, you will need to manage your taxes. This is very important while living in Ireland. You need to sign up on the Revenue website: https://www.revenue.ie/en/Home.aspx – Don’t worry; we also have a special guide on this for you: https://www.yesireland.ie/all-you-need-to-pay-taxes-in-ireland-and-avoid-the-dreaded-emergency-rate/

How do I get more information about Irish weather, nature, culture, food, having fun, learning English and keeping myself up-to-date?

You can discover a lot about Ireland by click on this e-book we have prepared especially for you and also you can follow our blog YES Ireland to keep yourself updated about everything that happens in Ireland. Check it out: www.yesireland.ie

Is it easy to find a job in Ireland if my level of English is still beginner?

The Irish Economy has been growing massively over the last 10 years. This has contributed to increases the amount of jobs available. In hospitality, there are many part-time jobs available that many students can take on. Due to the high demand, we can confirm that it is fairly easy to find a job in Ireland, even if your English level is still beginner. Furthermore, working is another great way to improve your language skills. We offer a weekly free Interview workshop and CV preparation to help you to get a job as fast as possible. To keep yourself up-to-date you may visit our blog: https://www.yesireland.ie/tips-to-pass-an-interview-in-ireland-good-luck/

In addition, we have prepared an E-book with several tips for you to know where to look for Accommodation, Job, Culture and etc. It’s uploaded here:

What kind of job do students usually do in Ireland?

Because many students can only work part-time, the types of jobs they are more likely to take on are in the retail, hospitality and caring sectors. This means that there are many options such as: deli assistant, barista, sales assistant, bar tender, au pair, child minder, cleaner, floor staff, waitress/ waiter, kitchen porter, etc.

How much will I get paid working in Ireland?

The minimum wage in Ireland is 9,80€ per hour. This means that no company can pay you less. However, depending on the job you take on, the hourly wage can be higher, such as in the Health sector. Carers and childminders usually get paid more than 10€an hour.